Rosa María Cañón Rodríguez
CargoHead of Radiation Oncology Department
- Nombre centro
- Quirónsalud Torrevieja Hospital
- DIrección centro
- Partida de la Loma s/n. 03184 Torrevieja (Alicante)
Dr. Cañón has in-depth clinical experience in the treatment of cancer patients. She is a national reference for treatments such as chemotherapy and autologous bone marrow transplant and management of chemotherapy and radiotherapy toxicity, as well as radiosurgery and radiotherapy.
- Conventional and Three-dimensional Conformal Radiotherapy.
- Simulation and Planning with image fusion: CAT-CAT, CAT-MRN, CAT-PET.
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy: IMRT (Steep and shoot and sliding window Simulation).
- Fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy: cranial.
- Fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy: extra-cranial: pulmonary, hepatic, bone.
- Image-guided Radiation Therapy: IGRT, with fiducial implants for daily checking and correction of positioning.
- High-rate dosage brachytherapy: endocavitary: Gynaecological, Bronchial.
- High-rate dosage brachytherapy: interstitial: Prostate, Cutaneous.
- Intraoperative radiotherapy: overprinting dose (digestive system tumours, lung tumours, sarcomas) and single dose (breast cancer).
- Photodynamic Therapy: interdisciplinary therapeutic modality which uses laser light irradiation as an energy source on tumours on which photosensitising agents have been administered. It can be used as a single modality or in combination with surgery, ionizing radiation or others.
Singular projects in Radiotherapy:
1. IMRT (prostate, pelvic tumours, head and neck, Re-irradiation).
2. IGRT: Radiotherapy guided by fiducial implants (Acculoc).
3. Cerebral stereotactic radiotherapy.
4. Extra-cranial stereotactic radiotherapy.
5. Intraoperative Radiotherapy: IOR in breast cancer.
6. Brachytherapy: Prostate BR.
1- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT): enables the treatment to be modulated taking into account the patient's internal anatomy. Useful for shortening treatments (hypofractionation), increasing doses or protecting organs:
- Brain: Re-irradiation.
- O.R.L. Tumours.
- Abdomen: Digestive tumours and retroperitoneal sarcomas.
- Pelvis: Prostate cancer, rectum cancer and gynaecological tumours.
2- Guided radiotherapy/IMRT with fiducial implants: Enables daily on-line checking and correction prior to each radiotherapy session, administering the treatment with maximum precision. Pioneer in this technique.
Open programme in:
- Prostate carcinoma (dose escalation and reduction of treatment days).
Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery from the University of Madrid (1991), she underwent her MIR specialisation at the University Clinic of Navarra.
Reconocimiento y publicaciones
- Publication of an article in an international scientific journal