WHY IS IT NECESSARY TO TREAT OBESITY?
Because it is much more than just an aesthetic issue
Obesity is a complex, chronic, and multi-factorial disease that is characterized by an abnormal or excessive accumulation of body fat. It is not just an aesthetic problem, it is a very serious disease that requires a multidisciplinary approach. The goal of the Obesity Treatment Center of Excellence is to control excess weight, getting it down to healthy levels while also treating associated comorbidities, thereby encouraging a longer life expectancy and better quality of life in addition to improved physical appearance.
Obesity is the most common metabolic disorder in the Western world and it is estimated that 1.2 billion people suffer from obesity or overweight around the world. The Spanish Society for the Study of Obesity has determined that in our country, over 22% of the population is obese and 39.3% is overweight.
Obesity has reached epidemic proportions across the globe, and every year almost three million people die as a result of obesity and overweight, representing the 5th cause of death globally.
Health problems associated with obesity
- Type 2 diabetes.
- Heart disease and stroke.
- High blood pressure.
- High cholesterol/Dyslipidemia.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome (OSAS).
- Osteoarticular problems.
- Digestive problems (heartburn, gallbladder disease, and liver problems).
- Cancer: obesity is associated with up to 13 types of cancer, including uterine, endometrial, ovarian, breast, colon, liver, gallbladder, pancreatic, kidney, prostate cancer, and more.
- Sexual and gynecological problems (infertility, irregular menstruation in women, erectile dysfunction in men...).
- Disability: fatigue and difficulty performing activities of daily living.
- Social isolation and psychological problems.
- Joint and muscle problems (osteoarthritis, back problems).