The Hospital El Pilar - Grupo Quirónsalud, founded in 1893, in the district of San Gervasio, Barcelona, was created as a private, nonprofit clinic, under the ownership and management of the Congregación de Hermanas de la Caridad de Santa Ana (Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of St. Anne).
Throughout its history, the clinic has been part of a broader charitable group, along with the Sanatorio de Ntra. Sra. del Rosario en Madrid (Sanatorium of Our Lady of the Rosary in Madrid) and Casa de Salud de Valencia (the House of Health, Valencia) and other health facilities in developing countries. Initially consisting of various isolation wards, its founding mission was to give assistance to the sailors and the poor of the city.
With successive expansions and renovations, in the 1980s we took over two five-story interconnected buildings and provided them with updated services and technology. In January 2008, the Instituto Cardiovascular Sant Jordi (ICSJ) acquired the Clínica del Pîlar, transferring their technology, professionals and clinical facilities. This represented a significant investment in the future to enhance and expand various services and consolidate our status as a notable hospital in Barcelona.
The traditional mission of the Hospital El Pilar - Grupo Quirónsalud and the Instituto Cardiovascular Sant Jordi was and is to provide comprehensive health care, from the humane and welfare perspective, thus completing the circle of continuous improvement, as is found in quality control processes. The clinic is a, patient-oriented center of excellence, and highly respected in the community. It is made up of a group of professionals who are committed to these principles. Our values that are our identity include: quality, individualized care and excellence in health. All this is combined with a highly qualified medical team, which has all the modern technical means needed to serve the patient.