The Ophthalmology Service of the Hospital Quirónsalud Costa Adeje deals with the diagnosis and treatment of defects and diseases of the vision apparatus. Our specialists maintain a constant concern to incorporate the most important advances in the specialty to improve the quality of our service and the diagnostic and therapeutic methods that we apply to our patients.
Ophthalmology studies the pathologies of the eyeball, the ocular musculature, the lacrimal system and eyelids and their treatments.
The specialists at Hospital Quirónsalud Costa Adeje recommend you go to the ophthalmologist if:
- Suffer loss of vision.
- Appearance of shadows or "flies" in the field of vision.
- Continuous redness of the eyes.
- Symptoms of eye irritation such as itching or stinging.
- In the case of children: if they perceive that they approach things to see them better (TV, books), fatigue problems in studies, headaches, etc..
We also advise you to take good care of your eyesight, follow the following basic and easy to implement tips:
- Alternate periods of visual work with rest periods (for example: rest the view of the computer screen 5 minutes every half hour).
- Use prescription glasses when prescribed by the specialist.
- Reading work with good lighting.
The complete Ophthalmology Service of Hospital Quirónsalud Costa Adeje offers a wide range of services in which all eye diseases are treated. For this he puts at your disposal:
- Ophthalmology consultation: includes graduation, ocular tension control, funduscopic examination, preventive ophthalmology, pediatric ophthalmology, glaucoma control, optometry and contact lens adaptation
- Special tests: visual fieldimetry, angiography for the study of retinal diseases.
- As for surgeries: cataract, glaucoma, retina, strabismus, eyelids and lacrimal ways.
For more detail, you should know more about the following treatments:
- Cataract Surgery: Cataract surgery is an outpatient procedure that is performed without hospitalization with topical anesthesia and now, thanks to technological advances, it is less bothersome for the patient. The surgeon makes a micrometric incision in the peripheral area of the cornea, for this incision introduces the instruments to lift the anterior capsule of the lens, once removed, introduces the phacoemulsifier with which dissolves and aspirates the cataract, then introduces the lens that replaces the lens. This procedure, under normal conditions, is done in a few minutes.
- Implantation of intraocular lenses (IOL) for the treatment of refraction alterations in which there is a major grading defect that contraindicates refractive surgery by laser.
- Glaucoma Treatment: Glaucoma usually responds well to medical treatment. Drops or eye drops are used whose purpose is to reduce the production of aqueous humor, or facilitate their exit from the eyeball. This type of medication the patient should use several times a day to get the intraocular pressure is kept within adequate parameters. When the pressure is not controlled with eye drops, laser or with the combination of both, the last option is surgery. The most used technique is Trabeculectomy, its objective is to create a new route of drainage of aqueous humor. The results are generally very good, achieving a normalization of eye strain with or without medical treatment
- Prevention of eye diseases in childhood: The visual system of a child is in continuous development during the growth stage. Early detection of eye problems during childhood is essential to ensure proper treatment and avoid consequences
- Treatment of Macular Degeneration
- Diabetic retinopathy.