The Ophthalmology Service of Chirónsalud Torrevieja has the Refractive Surgery Unit, and has a new laser of advanced technology that will allow you to enjoy a perfect look. Refractive surgery is performed to correct refractive errors of the eye and achieve optimal vision without the use of glasses or contact lenses. It is applied in cases of myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism and presbyopia.
Equipment: The Hospital Quirónsalud Torrevieja has one of the most advanced lasers of Refractive Surgery, the Zyoptix 100: it designs the individual treatment to apply them in every visual error, even if they are very mild. Fast and practically painless. It allows the surgeon to examine each eye to see details that previously could not be appreciated, to plan the treatment that can correct individual eyesight errors and in each eye, to program a laser with a combination of smaller and larger beams to offer an accurate treatment.
The operation: The intervention is recommended after 18 years and with a stable graduation of 1 year. To allow a faster recovery of normal patient activity, both eyes are usually operated at the same time.
Steps to follow:
- Make an appointment with the Ophthalmology office.
- The Refractive Surgery Unit will conduct a complete study that includes assessment of the optometrist and the ophthalmologist.
- Measurements and controls, under a microscope, to determine the condition of the cornea. For this it is necessary that the patient is 15 days to a month without contact lenses (produce physical changes on the surface of the cornea, either by rubbing, by changes in hydration or by small superficial edema).
- Computed corneal topography: test that consists of making a topographic map of the corneal surface.
- Ultrasonic corneal tachymetry: test to determine by ultrasound the exact thickness of the cornea.
- Check again the exfacta graduation of the eye.
How the intervention is performed: the approximate time is 8 minutes each eye:
- An anesthetic eye drop is instilled to numb the surface of the eyes.
- A separator for the eyelids is placed and avoid closing its involuntary closure.
- Cutting of the corneal blade.
- Start the laser application that ranges between 30 and 50 seconds.
- Repositioning corneal blade.
When the vision recovers: With the new techniques the recovery is very fast, although in the first hours the vision is normally blurred. Sometimes, with very high graduations, a second intervention may be necessary to adjust the result. Other times, this technique must be combined with the implant of intraocular lenses. The choice of the type of intervention will depend on the surgeon's criteria and the patient's characteristics.