The Pathological Anatomy Service of the Hospital Quirónsalud Torrevieja is composed of professionals dedicated to the analysis of organs, tissues and fluids of the body with the aim of providing essential information about the patient with a view to diagnosis, treatment, prognosis and therapeutic orientation. Its purpose is the study of cellular lesions in tissues and organs, molecular alterations and their structural and functional consequences. The primary purpose is the diagnosis of autopsies, biopsies, surgical pieces and cytologies.
For this reason, the Pathological Anatomy Service is a cross-sectional service that offers its knowledge to all other areas that may need a specific tissue analysis at any given time, for this purpose, the team of specialists at Hospital Quirónsalud Torrevieja has the most modern equipment and technologies, and is up to date with new trends and developments in Pathology.
- Cytology: Economic method, little annoying for the patient and fast, which provides great information about the disease. We perform it by studying desquamated cells or cells present in spills or organic liquids.
- PAAF (Punción Aspiración con Aguja Fina): A puncture is made in a palpable mass, or not palpable with the help of imaging techniques, in order to obtain cells and tissue fragments to make a diagnosis. This method is not very bloody and of great sensitivity.
- Biopsy: It takes a fragment of organ or tissue or its totality, and by means of its study, it can obtain diagnosis of diseases, as well as its prognosis and even providing therapeutic orientations.
- Therapeutic biopsy: It consists of obtaining a small tumor sample that after being validated its quality parameters by the pathologists is sent to another specialist (usually immunologist or molecular biologist) for processing; good for obtaining cell cultures or for molecular studies.
- Intraoperative Biopsy: It is one of the most delicate Pathology procedures, of greater responsibility for the Pathologist and very useful for the Surgeon. This study requires rapidity and rapport with the surgeon as it is the study of a fragment of tissue during the operation to help the surgeon make a decision during the operation.
- Autopsy pathology: it has its importance, among other things, in verifying the effectiveness of the treatment or its secondary or adverse alterations.
- Immunohistochemistry: It is a complement to biopsy and cytology and helps to identify cell profiles and strains through a sophisticated system. It is also a basic tool for differential diagnosis of tumors and to establish therapeutic targets.