An allergy is an abnormal reaction the body has when it comes in contact with certain substances from outside called allergens. The most common are found in pollen from plants (grasses and olive trees), dust mites, fungi, animal hairs, hymenoptera (bees and wasps), latex, some food and medicines.
The prevalence of allergic diseases has grown significantly in recent years. Several studies suggest that between 2015-2020, allergic diseases could affect 50% of the general population in developed countries. Thus, in recent years we have seen significant scientific advances and improvements in the treatment of allergic diseases (drugs, specific immunotherapy).
The real increase in allergic diseases aetiology is due to three main factors:
- An allergy is a disease with strong genetic predisposition with high prevalence in family, which is transmitted to the offspring.
- The presence of a greater number of new allergenic substances in the environment or greater exposure to environmental antigens.
- The presence of highly irritating contaminants in the atmosphere of large urban or industrial areas.
Allergy may affect skin, respiratory system, gastrointestinal tract and the cardiovascular system. The most common allergic diseases include: Rhinitis, conjunctivitis, extrinsic bronchial asthma, atopic dermatitis, contact dermatitis, rashes, angioedema, anaphylaxis, food allergy, allergy to drugs, allergy to latex, allergy to hymenoptera.
Quirónsalud Hospital Valencia offers:
- General Allergy Consultation.
- Child Allergy Consultation.
- Allergies screening test.