Asphyxia, the sensation of shortness of breath (or dyspnea) can be caused by lung or heart problems. There are also other diseases that manifest these symptoms. To determine what is the cause, you can request an appointment with the pulmonologist or cardiologist at Hospital Quirónsalud Torrevieja to investigate this problem. The pulmonologist and cardiologist cooperate together using a special protocol for people with complaints such as dyspnea and / or asphyxia when the cause is not known. The purpose of the dyspnea unit is to know in a short time the cause of your symptoms. According to the protocol, the necessary investigations are carried out.
The investigations that are carried out are:
- Laboratory research (take blood samples).
- Spirometry (lung function research).
- Thoracic radiography.
- Consultation and medical review with the pulmonologist.
- Consultation and medical review with the cardiologist.
Depending on the results of the investigations, one or both specialists will give the necessary treatment and control and perform the additional investigations that are appropriate.
- Treatment of lung diseases: asthma (allergic and non-allergic), COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease that presents with bronchitis or emphysema), infections such as Pneumonia and Pleuritis, lung cancer, Sarcoidosis, pulmonary fibrosis, Apnea Syndrome of Sleep, Pulmonary Embolism, Tuberculosis or Pneumothorax.
- Pulmonary function tests:
- Spirometry and flow-volume curves.
- Bronchodilation test.
- Pulmonary diffusion test.
- Lung volumes by helium dilution.
- Hyperreactivity test / Bronchial provocation.
- Muscle strength with maximum pressures.
- Exhaled Nitric Oxide.
- Arterial blood gas.
- Respiratory polysomnography.
- Pleural drainage.