Genetics is a transversal discipline that offers all medical specialties a highly useful diagnostic tool for daily clinical practice and for this, the Quirónsalud Valencia hospital offers you the consultation of Medical Genetics at the hand of Dr. Raquel Rodríguez , a specialist in clinical genetics for more than 20 years.
The consultation of medical genetics begins with the process of evaluation of patients and is supported by a catalog of more than 3,000 genetic studies to obtain an accurate diagnosis of the pathology and subsequent monitoring of patients with genetic diseases. During the process, patients are informed about the origin of their disease, the mechanisms of inheritance, the possibility of transmission to the offspring and the treatments and/or preventive measures indicated in their case, if any.
This consultation of medical genetics can help all those patients who are in one of the following situations:
- Family history affected by the same genetic disease, particularly if it is a rare disease or cancer.
- Common disorders with earlier age of onset than the typical one (loss of vision and/or hearing at an age under 55, dementia at an age under 60, cancer before 45, early menopause ...)
- Bilateral disease in paired organs (eg, eyes, kidneys, lungs, breast) or multifocality.
- Infertility, repeat abortions and/or implantation failures.
- Medical problems in the offspring of a couple that is consanguineous.
- Several primary tumors in the same individual.
- Tumors with excess growth or with asymmetric growth, dysmorphia, congenital malformations or mental retardation.
- Two or more cases of ischemic heart disease, sudden death before 55 years in men and 65 in women, heart or cerebrovascular disease at an age of less than 45 years.
- Dysmorphic features with delayed development or other medical pathology (intellectual disability, hearing loss, blindness, cataracts, ambiguous genitalia).