Our pediatric emergency unit has pediatric specialists able to interpret signs, symptoms, treatments and specific prognoses associated with children's diseases. The pediatric emergency service acts as follows:
- Diagnosing and treating acute diseases.
- Stabilizing patients who need it before proceeding to their admission in case of requiring it or to be discharged.
- Realizing the hospitable revenue of the patient and controlling his evolution in the room of hospitalization. All the given patients of discharge will receive a clinical report for his pediatrician.
- In case of not having a pediatrician of our own, we offer our general paediatrics and subspecialty consultations, attended by the same specialists who perform guards in the emergency and hospitalization rooms.
Pediatric emergencies without pain
The Pediatric Service of the Hospital Quirónsalud Valencia has implemented different procedures with the aim of reducing the perception of pain during the actions and medical processes that take place in the center and, in this way, achieving rates of no pain in the children treated. These protocols are applied in the most common procedures, such as sutures, peripheral and arterial channeling, extraction of foreign bodies, mechanical reduction of fractures and lumbar punctures.
All these actions are very beneficial, both for minors and their families and health personnel. Children do not suffer unnecessarily, so their memory of the hospital stay ceases to be painful. We improve their state of anxiety and, with it, that of parents and relatives. In addition, different studies have shown that the implantation of these techniques decreases the length of hospital stay and increases the perception of the quality of care from the subjective point of view of the patient and their families, at the same time as in objective scales.
Among the procedures put in place, the following stand out:
Virtual reality glasses
- Training of all staff to improve empathy with parents and family
- Improved communication and information about the technique that will be performed to adapt it to the patient's age and understanding
- Active participation of parents and children during procedures
- Use of pain scales and their recording in the clinical history to be able to know the evolution
- Use of positive reinforcement after each of the interventions
In this video you can see how virtual reality glasses work