The Gynaecology and Obstetrics Department was established in 1993 and the work of its Assisted Reproduction Institute stands out: we are backed by over 30,000 cycles of different Assisted Reproduction techniques, with over 5,200 pregnancies achieved; over 15,000 medical consultations are held there each year, and its professionals have over 25 years of experience.
Its hospital location (Quirónsalud Donostia Day Hospital), with a medical team trained by professionals in different fields (gynaecology, genetics, embryology, urology and psychology), and its investment in the latest technology in the field of Assisted Reproduction (such as the use of time-lapse in all treatments), represents an added value and a guarantee of safety and peace of mind for patients, improving outcomes.
Due to its proximity to France, the Assisted Reproduction Institute at Quirónsalud Donostia Day Hospital treats many patients from south-west France.
It is worth mentioning the collaboration agreements signed with the Navarrese Health Service (Osasunbidea) in 1997, an agreement with which, over more than 10 years, helped to treat hundreds of Navarrese couples with fertility problems.
As well as having the necessary means for diagnosing every sterility and infertility problem, as well as the ability to perform all current existing treatments, we have different units, including:
Reproductive Genetics Unit
It has advanced genetic diagnostic tools for preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGT-A; PGT-SR; PGT-M), which enable us to perform reproductive treatments aimed at addressing genetic reproductive disorders.
It studies in detail the cases of patients with family genetic diseases and advises on their prognosis and the most suitable reproductive technique.
It also studies carriers of recessive hereditary diseases to understand the genetic risk of transmitting any of these diseases, in order to protect their children and their descendants.
Psychological Support Unit
We are aware of the importance of motherhood and fatherhood in the lives of many people and of the severe crisis that fertility problems can involve. Therefore, as well as assessing and treating physiological matters, at Quirónsalud we pay special attention to the emotional implications, and we work to maintain the wellbeing of our patients.
- Public transport: by bus (lines 9, 27, 24 or 41) or by train, Estación del Norte or Gros stop.
- Private transport (dedicated parking):
- From the city centre: take the Paseo de los Fueros or the Avenida de la Libertad, cross the river by the second bridge and in Miracruz Street, turn right towards Egia. Take the Duque de Mandas street and continue on the Egia Street. Before going down to Loiola, turn to the right towards Alkolea Kalea.
- From AP-8 towards France: Take the road towards Donostia Erdialdea /San Sebastian Centre and deviate to the left through the Amara Tunnel (exit /). Continue along the Avenida de Carlos I and turn right onto Avenida de Madrid. Take the third exit at Plaza del Padre Donostia towards the Alto de Zorroaga Street. Keep right at the bifurcation and at the Loiola roundabout, take the second exit towards Loiola /A-8/ Irun / France. Take the first turning on the right towards Loiola and at the roundabout take the second exit, cross the river and turn left towards Alkolea Kalea.
- From AP-8 towards Bilbao: From the Cantabrian Motorway, take the road towards Donostia Erdialdea / San Sebastian Centre and keep left at the bifurcation, following the signs to Loiola/GI-131/Hernani. At the Loiola roundabout, take the fourth exit towards Loiola/A-8/N-1/Irun. Take the first turning on the right towards Loiola and at the roundabout take the second exit, cross the river and turn left towards Alkolea Kalea.
- Dr. Koldo Carbonero Martínez
Specialist Doctor Medical Director
Assisted Reproduction Unit
- Dr. Miren Mandiola Arizmendiarrieta
- Dr. Felipe Atutxa Esparta.
Ginecología y Obstetricia
- Dr. Ysmael Álvarez Espinosa.
Adjunto al Servicio de Ginecología
- Dr. Lorena Rodríguez Viërbucher
- Dr. Maitena Soubelet Fagoaga
- Dr. Ramón Ibáñez Aiceiburu
- Ms. Vicenta Giménez Mollá
- María Estomba
- Dra. Karim Estela Palacín Chaves
Deputy Head of the Gynaecology Department
- Assisted Reproduction Techniques:
- PI: Artificial intrauterine insemination with partner sperm.
- DI: Artificial intrauterine insemination with donor sperm.
- IVF-ET: In vitro fertilisation and endocervical embryo transfer.
- ICSI: Intracytoplasmatic sperm injection.
- Blastocyst transfer.
- Transmyometrial embryo transfer (TOWAKO).
- Assisted Hatching: Technique that improves embryo implantation.
- ICSI-TESA (ICSI with testicular biopsy)
- Egg donation-reception
- Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD)
- Oocyte bank
- Sperm bank
- Vitrification (embryos and oocytes)
- Fertility preservation (male and female)
- Genetic compatibility test of the couple
- Reproductive genetic counselling